Monday 4 November 2013

Yet more catching up



It’s a white morning, the sky a brilliant glowing light-filled blue. I venture round to the laundry room. En route I stop to look at the thermometer on the garden shed, -9˚C. No wonder it feels so cold. As I look around I notice all our neighbours’ gardens are frosted white. Ours alone remains green.  Once inside again, I look out of the front windows. The cars in the street are covered by twinkling white. The roofs are the same. Even the purple sage, which always has a furry whiteness to it, is now most definitely white & sparkly. Winter is definitely on its way.

I’m glad, & relieved, to say the Fox has turned the corner. He even felt up to cooking yesterday, just a quick Kipper & Egg Kedgeree. I’d come to the conclusion, if I was to change the sheets & sort out the washing, my usual Sunday chores,  then it was going to be a takeaway. Instead the Fox cooked. Admittedly it did shatter him but then it is the most he’s felt up to doing all week. It’s beginning to look as though we might get off to Penrith for our weekend break. I’m just hoping I manage to continue to avoid getting this cold myself.

On Saturday I had a go at catching up with all my cousins. First I tried Pat. She’s had her last course of chemotherapy for her breast cancer. It seems she’s done well. Unfortunately in the process she’s gained a Deep Vein Thrombosis & Phlebitis. As she can’t take warfarin, she now has to inject her tummy daily. She’s feeling grateful for that extra layer of flab she has there, so it’s not too uncomfortable. She’s also going to have a scan for osteoporosis as that can also be a side effect of the chemo.

Next I rang my cousin Ann. She’s responding much better to her new form of chemo & on the whole is feeling not too bad. She’s more put out by discovering she’s now getting pain in one of her knees. It’s osteoarthritis, just the usual wear & tear variety. It’s still too early to operate on that. She’s even more worried about her dog, Ben. Ben is terrified of fireworks & it’s that time of year again. There are two big municipal displays on either side of where she lives. Those are on top of the odd ones that have been going off for a while in people’s private gardens. (Around here, there seem to be fewer that usual – a sign of the continued recession & the consequent money shortages?)

Finally I tried my cousin Alma, the one with terminal lung cancer. Her voice is now so faint it is difficult making out what she says. She really fancies the idea of a few days holiday break herself. The only thing is she needs to stay near the hospital in case of an emergency & she needs someone to accompany her in case she needs any help. I would have suggested we could go with her but Essex, where she lives,  is a long way form North Lancashire, too far for us to drive, not to mention that I’m not sure if we’re in much of a state to give her much aid. The best we could probably do is raise help. The idea of a break in a hospice that has been suggested doesn’t appeal to her – there’s a lot of sick people there, moaning away. She wants to see life while she still can! However she did raise the energy to give the Fox a good telling off for lollygagging over this cold, &, lo, he smiled & started to get better. I hope our phone call cheered & revitalised her too.

I'm even beginning to think I might get around to making the chorizo pizza I was intending to make last Monday for today's dinner. The Fox would seem to be in a state to take over if necessary. His taste buds are also coming back to appreciate my efforts.

No comments: