Tuesday 12 November 2013

Thoughts of war



Thoughts of war, or is it peace, keep going through my mind. I suppose it is partly the effect of the time of year, with us all remembering those who have fought for our country, in particular during the First & Second World War. But it isn’t just that.

I’m currently reading “Azincourt” by Bernard Cornwell which is a tale of the battles leading up to, & including, Agincourt. The previous book I read was Helen Dunmore’s “Zennor in Darkness”, a novel set in Cornwall in 1917. In both books, war & its implications come through.

I end up feeling very grateful to have lived at a time when none of my contemporaries have had to face military conscription. They may have chosen to join the armed services, and ended up fighting in the Falklands, Iraq, Afghanistan, to name a few conflicts, but it has been their choice. The Fox has never had to face that choice & I have never had to face the anxiety of having a loved one away at war, maybe being injured or killed. We have been lucky.

Unfortunately, for all the remembrance services had, I’m beginning to feel war is becoming worse. In the days of Agincourt, in the 15th century, rape & pillage was the norm. This was largely banned in the 20th century, but now I’m aware of just how often rape & torture are once more becoming the norm. Civilians are often the victims of such treatment. It’s as though mankind is reverting to some pre-civilisation character, forgetting any concept of caring ethics. Is it just that the role of religion is being reduced in so many countries so has no restraining influence on men’s actions? I suppose I’m principally thinking in terms of a loving, forgiving Christian faith. Islamic extremism does seem to be growing but that seems to have little to do with personal growth into a better person & more to do with crusading zeal.

I’m not sure I’m much reassured by the emergence of drone fighting. I’m reminded of an old “Star Trek” episode in which two nations have been at war for hundreds of year. They feel no urge for peace as they never see to death, the suffering, that war involves. They stay remote from the action as operators of drones do. The war is about numbers, counters on a board, rather than about people being wiped away, destroyed.

There are times I despair of mankind. Will he never learn? Violence & greed never bring good, though I accept sometimes it is necessary to fight defensively, to protect your country & lifestyle from being trodden all over. But a world in which man can live in harmony with man seems almost further away now than in the days of my youth. Or is it that I’m just getting more cynical in my old age?

No comments: