Friday 8 November 2013

Dreaming of the off



Hopefully we will soon be off. My mind keeps going over the things we must take with us. A little pile is collecting of things we must remember to take – a pile of medication, toothbrushes, hair brush & comb, camera, box of tissues for the Fox - he's still not entirely cold-free - map, etc. To send us on our way I was woken by the sound of torrential rain hitting against the window & the glass of the greenhouse, not far from our bedroom window. I can but hope the weather will improve as the weekend goes on.

Fortunately the main thing we want to see is inside so the weather doesn’t matter much. If it does improve, maybe we will venture down to Ullswater and see that lake once more. We’re also thinking if it’s dry, we will manage a look around Penrith itself. It must be over 20 years since last we visited. Those were the days when I was able to walk around quite happily. I’m curious how it has developed over the intervening years.

Even if the weather doesn’t improve the hotel itself sounds reasonably comfortable. We may just end up relaxing in the lounge or bar. We’ll be taking our books with us.

We may even have a go at one of the spa treatments available. I confess I always feel ambiguous about the idea of a spa. People enthuse about how wonderfully relaxing they are, how much better they feel afterwards. I can’t help wondering if I won’t find them a bore, like getting your hair done. I’m also anxious that many of the treatments will necessitate getting changed & that is tiring, often pain-filled, in itself.

 Still we will decide when we get there, when we see what’s on offer, how we feel, what the weather’s doing – all very fluid. You never know we may find we’re enjoying ourselves so much we decide to stay a bit longer! We’ve nothing definite we have to be back for.

No comments: