Friday 1 November 2013

News catch up



The weekend break is off. The Fox is still in no shape to go away. His sense of taste is distorted & he his still not feeling up to doing much. What little he has done has just exhausted him.

We did get to the hospital though, on Wednesday. I’m relieved to say my pancreas is once more of reasonable size & not inflamed. There is no sign of any tumours either. With this good news we opened a bottle of sparkling pinot grigio in the evening to celebrate. I only had a glass & a half but it was enough to see how things go.

By the time we got back from the hospital, the Fox was wiped out & needed to retreat to bed for a lie down to recover a bit before dinner. It had been a bad journey in, with massive traffic jams trailing for miles into Lancaster. I was late arriving as it had taken us over 45 minutes to get into town despite diverting down side streets.

So yesterday we did some food shop. Again the Fox returned exhausted. We wouldn’t have even gone if it hadn’t have been for the fact we were running out of so many basics – tea, butter, margarine, onions, eggs, stock cubes, frozen peas. At least now we are once more stocked up well in enough for a few days.

We are only eating basic food. Things have to be quick & easy as the Fox is in no position to help me. What is more, even if I did go to more effort, it’s not as though he is even in a state to appreciate it. So it’s been a diet of ready meals & one day of breakfast-for-dinner. It’s back to frozen fish of some sort today, probably breaded plaice or battered cod. Still it is sufficient to keep us going.

Yesterday saw the appearance of another new home help. Again she seemed reasonably efficient & affable. There’s still no real sign of who will be the regular one. At least this one took the vouchers for both weeks so we’re up to date on the payment. We’ll see who comes next week.

The hotel reservation I’ve moved to next weekend. I’m hoping by then the Fox will be more like himself. I’m also hoping I haven’t gone down with this cold. So far I seem to be avoiding it, but I am aware I’m tiring & I suspect that is likely to make me more vulnerable. If we can’t make it next week we will abandon the idea until we’re sure we’re both well. The art exhibition we were hoping to see finishes on the 10th November, so we may well prefer to go somewhere else if we go away at all.

No comments: