Thursday 17 March 2011

We're back!

We're back!

We actually got back at about 3.30am on Monday. Since then chaos has ranged & this has been my first opportunity to get on-line.

We knew we would busy. We knew I had three medical appointments this week. We also knew there would be the inevitable hunt for finishing touches for the bathroom - things like toilet roll holders, towel rails etc. However, our hearts did sink, when we stepped through the front door on our return to find the hall carpet was still covered with polythene. We ventured in to find a toilet & sink but no shower, three of the walls bare plaster. On we went into the kitchen where we found a note from Kev, the builder, saying he would see us Monday morning. He had thoughtfully bought us a carton of fresh milk so at least we could have a cup of tea to recover.

So come Monday, after a nap rather than a sleep, I was up bright & early for 8am to see Kev. There had been problems. By this time I had discovered the damage in the study where something had come through the wall from the shower room, & the trench outside in the garden. I'd also realised the new toilet was the wrong one. We'd ordered a very high one - easier for me to stand up from - & this one was if anything lower than the old one. The touch plug in the sink was in fact a pull up plunger. I was ready for Kev when he arrived.

Since then we've had Kev in. The bathroom is now gleaming, a new new toilet in place, the plug changed, walls all marble-looking, the shower installed, the trench filled in. Great. All that remains is for the airing cupboard doors to be replaced & the new, as yet unchosen, accessories to be put in, but at least we should have a few quiet(er) days before than. But it has been tiring at a time when I needed a few quiet days to recover from the travelling involved with the holiday.

So come today, I'm off to the hospital this morning. It's just a routine breast-screening event - no cause for alarm but, as someone who has a family history of cancer, has had herself cancer of a different sort, has had multiple breast lumps in the past, I feel it is important to go.

But first we've got the man coming to measure up for some new blinds for the bathroom. He's coming this morning. 

I'm still waiting to hear from the Occupational Therapist to sort out grab rails etc, without which I'm very nervous of trying for a shower in the new room. I tried to organise an appointment for her to come round before we went away, but apparently they can't do that, so now I'm left waiting. Fortunately I did have a shower just before we went of to Cyprus.


As for the holiday, that was mixed. I will tell you more of that another day. Suffice to say we hadn't expected blizzards, snow, hail, thunderstorms, icy winds. Fortunately, unlike some of our fellow holidaymakers, we had gone well provisioned with woollies! If nothing else I suspect the holiday did get us away for the worst of the noise of the work, & I am coping better with the chaos than I think I would have done without the break.

But I am looking forward to having our home once more back to us, with all the clutter tidied away. Roll on.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

you really must try and not make a habit of timing your holidays so that you return to a house in chaos.Hope there'll not be too much delay with the OT and, trust that the screening goes well!

Love to you both. Take care.