Sunday 27 March 2011

Consequences of stress

Yesterday was a long day, as the Fox has already written in his blog. It is sufficient to say it was spent at the hospital after he had a mini stroke. Would you believe the ambulance that came for him couldn't take my wheelchair? I was worried about my own state to drive as I was so anxious about the Fox. Instead I rang Lin, PD's wife, to see if she could take me to the hospital. She duly did. She stayed for a while, leaving PD in charge of cooking the dinner for the grandchildren. She stayed with me a while before going home, after insisting I gave her a ring when I was ready to go home.

So began a long day of waiting. Eventually, after various tests they let the Fox come home. I rang Lin & she hot-paced to Lancaster to collect us. She'd thoughtfully brought us a tub of homemade vegetable soup & some shepherd's pie so we would have a quick meal to warm up. Just as well really as we'd only had a round & a half of sandwiches each all day.

We're off back to the hospital on Monday for further tests. The Fox is not to drive for at least 28 days. Lin has already insisted she will take us in on Monday. Apart from that they've upped his aspirin for the moment & told him to cut down on the alcohol. I can see I'm going to have to do more driving, which will mean less visits to the Pub as I can't be sure of being able to park near enough to the entrance for me to walk in. We'll just have to see how it goes. Neighbours & friends have already offered help if we should need it.

All this, I suspect is the result of stress. He's been getting very worked up about the bathroom, worrying about the effect of that stress on me. It's didn't help me getting that CKD diagnosis last week to add to the worries.

But at least, he looks as though he's settling down again. His body is feeling more like his own again.

It's strange the consequences of stress. I've noticed before how often you can get through the period of stress. It's the relaxing after that causes the problems. In my case it often results in migraine or added knee pain.  In the Fox's case it clearly resulted in this stroke, & is probably likely to do so again in the future.

Still, at least for now, he's home and in not too bad a state. For that I thank God.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

Thoughts and prayers are with you both!