Friday 25 March 2011

A contrast of workmen

Hopefully today will be the last big day in the bathroom. Yesterday the joiner came. He took all day to put a new front on the airing cupboard. It was a long nerve-racking day. There are just some people you feel you are on a different wave-length from, & for me, this joiner was one such. Whatever I said seem to go down wrong. I constantly expected an accident to happen, he seemed to bumble around so much. He was here at 9am & didn't finish until 4.20pm. And at the end of the day the job isn't very satisfactory. The door doesn't close properly. It springs open every time you open the shower-room door. It looks cheap & tatty. But on the other hand another day with this joiner would be more than I could stand.

Today, by contrast, should be a breeze. Kev is back to sort out the ceiling & put up the accessories. Now Kev is a man I'm happy to have again. He just puts his head down & gets on with the job. He appreciates his tea, and my poor jokes. He's considerate, closing the front door when he's working outside to reduce the noise intrusion inside & keep the house warm. I wouldn't hesitate to leave him on his own to get on with things. I would be confident if we wanted to go out that he would remember to lock up behind him & put the key through the letter-box for us. I suspect too, this job will only take a a couple of hours at most, not all day.

But after that all should be about done. The blinds are due on Tuesday. And it's still anyone's guess when the Occupational Therapist will arrive. But once she does, it won't take long to do what she needs to do.

Then our home will once more be OURS!

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

I really feel for you whilst all this work's going on - just the thought of it is sufficient to bring on a severe bout of the tetchies!!!

The Oxcliffe Fox said...

AS you can read, the effect on the Fox was even worse - a mini stroke!