Sunday 19 December 2010

Snow, & water

The snow has finally arrived. It came Friday night. By the morning everything was under an inch of white, not much compared with most areas but plenty for us. So yesterday I was anxious when I saw great flakes of white descending. Then I realised it wasn't snowing, it was just windy. As the evergreens blew around, they scattered snow from their boughs in every direction like shaggy dogs after a swim. Today all is frozen, -15C. I nervously ventured off to the bird table to let them have the skin etc from the roast goose we had yesterday - delicious by the way. My feet never sank in the snow. It was just too hard. I'm pleased to see now that the birds have found my offering & are devouring it hungrily.  


********************

As so often I wasn't sleeping so well last night. I switched on the radio, BBC World Service, "The Food that Feeds Billions". By the time I had listened to this programme I was desperate. Half an hour - it seemed like hours - on the subject of bottled water with appropriate watery sounds was enough to drive me to the loo rather than to the Land of Nod again. What a time to have such a programme on! I had to tell myself that most listeners would be listening in other time zones where it would come over as an interesting programme. To me, in England, in the middle of the night, it was just too liquid!

No comments: