Friday 3 December 2010

At a loose end

I've just rushed around, peeling potatoes & sprouts for dinner. I popped around to the compost heap, a little concerned by the light shower of small flakes of snow. I've got the sausages out of the freezer - thought I'd best go while I still could - & got some red wine in to thaw for this evening. All this to be ready for our morning visitor, another man coming to measure up our bathroom & produce a more satisfactory design for our new shower room.

Then the phone rang. It was our morning visitor. He wondered what the weather was like at our end. I duly told him - all major roads absolutely clear though our side road is icy, snow falling but very light &, even as I was speaking, it was stopping again. No cause for worry in other words. I didn't mention it was very cold, the thermometer outside saying -16C. Nonetheless he decided not to come as it is very icy where he is. I said fine. It's not urgent. We're not thinking of getting the work done until next year. He sounded very relieved. He'll give me another call on Monday to see how the situation is then.

Suddenly I have a clear morning with nothing much to do. Maybe I'll have a look at all the brochures we've already got. Or contemplate what to put on our next food shopping list. Or just disappear to India with my novel or Paris with my jigsaw. Just be lazy in other words. This is the life!


No comments: