Sunday 21 February 2010

Winter is back

The day just doesn't know what to do with itself. One moment I look out of the window & great flakes of snow are falling, the world turning rapidly white. Then I look again & now the snow has turned to rain & washed the world back to wet greyness. A few minutes later & it's snowing once more & the world white. My one conclusion is that this not a day for me to venture out to church upon. Instead I'm staying inside, snug & warm, catching up on "The Archers" & events in Ambridge.

I did give my cousin a ring earlier on. In Stoke I gather there's 4 inches of snow & still falling. She was just back from taking the dog for a walk. He loves the snow.

I then ring Linda to see how she's doing now. She's recovered from Valentine's Day now. She's off to Bedford today for some meeting. She's going well prepared - spare duvet, water, something hot to drink - in case it turns into a very long drive. She feels rather wrongly dress for an important meeting she's got for tomorrow but at least she's not taking chances getting there.

And to think I was writing about signs of spring only yesterday! And in the afternoon, the Fox & I had walked down to our village pub admiring the views across the Bay & the great job of renovation of the prom the council has done. We'd watched the oystercatchers rootling around in the field by the side. We'd admired the pink flush on the fells as we came home. We'd appreciated the way the light caught every pocket of water of the so-recently covered sands - on the way there the tide was gently lapping against the sea wall, by the time we came back an hour later the sea was way out in the middle of the bay.

And now winter is back....

No comments: