Friday 19 February 2010

A Hint of spring

The sun is shining brightly. Frost still sparkles on the ground. Yet the crocuses are opening up goldenly in our front garden. I'm not quite sure how we seem to have ended up with all but one crocus being yellow, the sole exception being a white one. Last year they were real mixture with a fair number of purples. Still maybe spring is finally showing signs of coming.

Yesterday I wasn't quite so convinced - a very grey & wet day. Even a bit of snow!

This morning I ventured round the corner of the house to see if it was possible to get to the compost bin yet - the rain had formed the inevitable lake across the way yesterday. I heard a strange noise. As I turned the corner a sparrow & a blackbird abandoned their baths & flew off into the hedge. Yes, the lake was definitely there & these visitors had obviously claimed it as their bathtub! At least the water wasn't frozen as so much of the garden is.

No comments: