Tuesday 16 February 2010

Scent attack

I'm beginning to think my sense of smell is going a bit berserk.

It began on Friday when we popped to the shops to buy some fresh basil. By the time the Fox had put my wheelchair back in the boot of the car, the inside seemed filled with the fragrance of the herb. How such a little pot can produce so much perfume is beyond me.

Yesterday's scent was different. Again we went down to the shops. This time we bought some spring onions. They were maybe not so pungent at first. We stopped to buy some petrol before we left the supermarket grounds. Then the smell was assaulting my nose, a heady concoction. Normally the most I smell at petrol stations is petrol, & then only when I have the window open.

What surprised me even more, was that on Friday, when I came to cook I forgot all about the basil. I made a sausage & pasta dish for dinner. Fortunately the basil was meant to be torn up on top at the last minute. And what a difference it made when I hastily added it to the meal! A real lift.

Hopefully we won't forget about the spring onions. The Fox is cooking today. This time a pasta & smoked salmon dish. The spring onions are a more integral part of the meal. It should be good. By then I expect to be under attack from a different scent. I shall be picking some fresh fennel from the front garden. That too is going in the meal.

No comments: