Tuesday 19 January 2021

The magic of Morpheus

I finally did it. I succumbed to a sleeping pill.

 

Last night I lay in bed. Before going I’d had some paracetamol. An hour or so later I progressed to codeine. The pain just didn’t seem to give up, not even to allow me to doze off for half an hour or so. Something snapped & I took a sleeping pill. I lay there thinking at first nothing was happening. Then I started to feel areas of pain dissolving. I finally started to relax.

 

I was aware of the Fox joining me in bed but didn’t really wake up.

 

Eventually this morning I opened my eyes. It was light I could see around the curtained room. It must be late. It proved to 9am, far later than I usually get up. I must have been solidly out for about 9 hours.

 

I’ve got up with a clearer mind than I’ve had for ages. I’ve been trying to sort out our menus for the week ahead. Suddenly I knew today the Fox was making Salmon Kedgeree, Wednesday I’m going to make a Cod Fish Pie, Thursday the Fox is frying some marinated chicken, Friday, will be a Pork & Beansprout Stir-fry – should be easy to do even with our cleaner coming in. I’m also thinking on Friday of marinating, then slow cooking in fat some duck legs so we can have Confit of Duck on Saturday – a delicacy we’ve come to love on our many trips to France.

 

I don’t think I’ve been able to hold so much information in my head since the new year really. It’s amazing what a difference a bit of sleep can do. I’m finally beginning to feel I’m on top of last Friday. I’m certainly feeling more ready to appreciate life again.

 

No comments: