Monday 25 January 2021

A slide

I look out of the window in the back door as I unlock it. The ground is definitely wet, possibly icy.

 

I venture out & make my way down the ramp to the laundry room. Or, at least, that is the idea. A couple of steps out & I find myself landing hard on my backside, one leg forward, the other splayed out at an awkward angle. Fortunately, at the bottom of the ramp, where the laundry room is & where I now am, there is a grab handle outside the door from the days before the steps were replaced with the ramp. I haul on that to get up.

 

No broken limbs. A little skin off the palm of one hand. I suspect some bruising on my rump. A knock to my confidence. That’s all. I’ve been lucky.

 

I feel my washing & find some things have dried overnight.

 

Now the question is how I get up the ramp again. At least I am definitely forewarned it is slippery. I hold onto the grab rail as much as I can, stay close into the wall in the theory that is probably going to be the warmest part & therefore least likely to be icy. I grab the grab handle by the kitchen door as soon as I can. It is with relief I get inside the kitchen without a further slide.

 

I’ll not be going out into the garden again today until it looks as though things have thawed out. I may even put a bit of salt down to make it a bit easier.

 

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I'm almost afraid to venture out these days if there's the slightest hint of it being icy underfoot. Trouble is, it's sometimes difficult to tell. Go cautiously and take care. Lots of love to you and the Fox.