Monday 19 October 2020

On its way

Yesterday was quite a day for the birds. We positively had flocks of sparrows & starlings rather than the odd one. We had the usual visitors – two pairs of woodpigeons, a pair of collar doves, four blackbirds, a couple of magpies. At one point I thought I saw a flash of red like there was a robin but I didn’t have my glasses on to be certain.

 

I’m not quite sure what caused the flurry of excitement. I know I’d put the skin from yesterday’s roast chicken out for them & topped up the feeders. Even so I’m left wondering. Is it a sign that winter is on its way & they feel the need to fatten up fast if they’re to survive the cold? Do they know this winter is going to be a harsh one?

 

Once more on the radio today they question the idea of changing the clocks at the end of the month. Personally I hate getting up in the dark & am ready now to change the clocks. I’m telling myself that reflects that I’m a day person. I like to be up early. I don’t mind as much the earlier dark in the evening. By then I’m usually ready to shut out the cold & wrap myself up behind curtains, all snug & warm.

 

The Fox is an evening person. He would be getting up in the light regardless of whether the hour changes or not. However, he does miss the extra light in the evening.

 

Which just goes to show whatever you do you can’t please everyone.

 

No comments: