Saturday 17 October 2020

Grimmer still

I had appointments at Kendal hospital both on Wednesday & Thursday this week. We decided to just stay up there for a couple of nights hence the silence. The hotel was high on the hill overlooking the town of Kendal with the fells behind. We came back refreshed in that the break has made us appreciate once more the joys of being home.

 

The medical news was not so joyous. The CT scan I’d had proved the tumour had grown despite the chemo. It was not just my imagination. Clearly the chemo wasn’t working. On top of which my Thursday appointment would have been cancelled anyhow because my bloods showed my neutrophils were once more too low.

 

What next? The suggestion is that I will have a two week break, to give the last lot of chemo chance to work its way through my system. Then I will see the oncologist again & possibly try a third lot of chemo. He thinks it is unlikely to be effective but if I want to have a go he’s prepared to let me have it.

 

Meanwhile I’ve got some bumf to read on the new chemo infusion. I’ve also started the process of seeing the palliative nurse. It is increasingly looking like I am going to lose this war, not that I am thinking of giving up just yet. Hopefully I can continue for a while.

 

The one bit of good news is that the CT scan did show there was no sign of spread into any of my vital organs. It is only when that happens that I will go into serious decline. At the moment I feel in good health except for one huge & several small lumps, all rather painful, in my shoulder, going from the collar bone towards the breast on that side, where there is another painful lump appearing.

 

No comments: