Monday 17 December 2018

Filling up


As we near Christmas the freezer is filling up rapidly.

On Saturday all the leftover turkey went in. That should be enough for about 13 meals, including our Christmas dinner. We will not have any more turkey until then so as not to spoil our appreciation of our festive meal.

For the New Year I’m buying a large gammon joint so that will be another bag of leftovers to squeeze into the freezer.

On top of that I’m intending to buy a large bag of frozen raw prawns some of which will go into a stir fry along with the scallops I bought last week.

It is with some relief that I took the last of one loaf of bread out of the freezer today. I usually keep the bread in the freezer as these days it takes us weeks to eat a toaster loaf. I don’t always bother with toast for breakfast. As a result I kept finding I was throwing out half a loaf as it had gone mouldy long before I’ve finished it. Now I just take a few slices out at a time. I do anticipate eating a bit more toast soon as we’re getting some pâté as a starter for our festive meal.

We do eat more bread than this but I usually buy nicer bread to have with soups, salads etc. Today we will be having garlic bread with our beef  ragu & pasta. Naan bread usually accompanies our curries.

I’m dreading the last supermarket shop this week. It’s been getting ever busier as the month’s gone on. I’m not intending to go in next week if possible. I’m hoping the fresh cream will be well dated.  If we do go in, it will be for a very small top-up shop.

No comments: