Wednesday 21 November 2018

Too green


As you turn the bend returning homeward along our street, the bright greenness hits you in the face.

One of our neighbours has decided to illuminate a tree in her garden. Whilst I’ll not deny it is a magnificent specimen, this lurid greenness is too much for me. I regard it as a kind of light pollution.

I admit I’ve sometimes wondered if it would be nice to gently light up some of our garden at night. My usual conclusion is that it seems pointless. When it’s dark outside we draw the curtains or drop the blinds.

I can see this woman does spend a lot of time in her conservatory, without blinds/curtains, so maybe does see her garden more at night & so may appreciate the illumination more.

It’s the crassness of the way she’s done it that gets to me. Why couldn’t she have shown more subtlety in her use of light? Why does she have to make it such a vivid green? And why does the lighting have to be so bright that I should think people living half a mile away will see the green glow in the sky? Forget looking at the silvery moon & the twinkling stars, all is green.

No comments: