Wednesday 2 May 2018

Hampton PIe

I’ve just been making up a Hampton Pie, a potato topped pie with corned beef underneath. The Fox was originally intending to make this for us. Then I pointed out, as we are using up from the freezer at the moment & on to chorizo, I would therefore be making Spicy Prawns & Chorizo for Wednesday. The Fox makes this dish better than me. I’m not sure why but he does. He instantly volunteered to make that yesterday, a day when I don’t have too much time for food preparation because of the carer coming in. So today I’m making the Hampton Pie. That’s using up some corned beef left over from a hash the Fox made last Friday.

I sometimes feel my life revolves around food. We only eat once a day, though if we’re hungry we might succumb to a nibble, a slice of toast & marmalade for breakfast, or a bowl of soup as a midnight feast. Even so food takes up a lot of time spent in thought, looking for ideas, deciding what to do, shopping, working out how to make the chosen meal. In my case it also involves loads of breaks, for a rest, in order to complete the next operation. Now the pie is ready to just go in the oven this evening. Nice & easy.

Hampton Pie is an old favourite, discovered in the early years of our marriage over 40 years ago. It still remains something of a treat. It has a satisfying simplicity, especially when it’s served with a warmed tin of baked beans. Mmm mmm…

No comments: