Thursday 1 March 2018

Another death in the family

Today is looking white again as a thin layer of ice coats everything. The odd white flake dances on the wind.

It looks as though we will yet have to make a trip down to Stoke before long. We got news last night that my cousin Trudy had died. When I last spoke to her she had recently been diagnosed with heart failure. She went into the hospital as an out-patient for some tests to see if there was anything they could do to ease things for her but she died while in the hospital. As yet they’ve not sorted out the details of the funeral. Her husband, Bill, will let me know when he knows.

Bill, needless to say, is distraught. They’ve been married for over 50 years. Trudy is leaving a big hole in his life. Fortunately, his daughter, who often works abroad, is at home at the moment & so has been able to offer a bed for the night, regular food supplies, help with the housework etc. His son also lives nearby & has been giving a lot of support.

Apparently even towards the end of her life, Trudy was busy making plans for her 80th birthday party this April. We were on the guest list.

I spent the rest of the evening phoning round other cousins, spreading the bad news. It seemed strange to ring one cousin, John, who I’ve only met once, & that at another funeral, the one for my cousin Ann. He was most surprised when he realised who was ringing. I offered our condolences for his own loss. My Aunt Flo, whose funeral was last Monday, was his mother. She apparently had died at the age of 96, a good age.

Now we wait for the details of the funeral. I did tell Bill that we were booked for going away later in March, so we may not be able to get to the funeral. Bill agreed we must go on the holiday. If we miss the funeral, I’ll make sure I at least phone Bill before & after our holiday. We’re even thinking we may even have a few days in Stoke & see some of the family.

One thing, the shock seems to have rapidly dried up my cold. I’m feeling much more myself today.



No comments: