Monday 12 March 2018

Crab

I’ve just been making some crab burgers, ready to fry up for this evening’s dinner.

I used tinned crab. As so often, I’m left wondering why the tin is lined with paper. Anyone know? At first I thought it was to protect the tin. However the liquid in the tin passes through the paper & even some crab arrives on the tin side of the paper. It’s just occurred to me that maybe the wet tin could discolour the crab. The meat is very white. Maybe that is the reason.

I have a soft spot for crab. In the 1950s, my Uncle John had a grocery shop. He always kept some food specialities on one side to treat my mum. I think he must have had a bit of a soft spot for her. So, even in those immediately post-war days, we would have tins of crab, salmon & lobster.

But where I really fell in love with crab was on a childhood holiday in Norfolk. We stayed in a village not far from Cromer. I regularly had a fresh dressed crab salad for my meal. The meat is so fresh & sweet, always a delight. I always much prefer crab to lobster which can sometimes be rather tough.

These burgers have been flavoured with coriander, spring onions & chilli. I’m really quite looking forward to them.

No comments: