Saturday 7 October 2017

On the mend



It is with some relief that I say I’m definitely on the mend. I’ve just been doing the ironing. It took me the best part of an hour & I didn’t have to stop once to blow my nose. Admittedly I did have a good blow out before I started & now need a good one to go on. I’m still hopeful of cooking dinner tonight - something nice & simple like a Tuna Fish Pilaf, made with fish from a tin. If I can manage I will be able to look forward to further progress, further meals to cook, maybe even those few days away.

We didn’t get to the funeral in the end, though we did pop along to the golf club for a bit in the afternoon so we caught up on how it all went.

I sometimes think it’s one of those sad things. If Fran had died ten years or so ago, before the dementia & when she was able to lead a full social life, I’m sure the crem would have been full. Around 100 people turned out for her first husband’s funeral & the same, if not more, would have turned out for her. But yesterday, after so many years withdrawn in her own world of dementia, unable to take an active part in society, only 25-30 turned up, & most of them were family.

By all accounts the service went well, with a eulogy from a lady Fran used to work with.

I’m sorry we couldn’t get there, but I couldn’t face crowds with my streaming nose, & the Fox was struggling to fight off the germs. I’m still not entirely convinced he’s not going to sink at any moment. We’ll just have to see.

No comments: