Monday 20 February 2017

In need of inspiration



I’ve got a dilemma. I’m once more on to using up from the freezer. The next item on my list is 625g venison loin. My problem is that that I’ve plenty of recipes that use loin steaks but they use smaller amounts & this is one single block of frozen meat. I could roast it as a joint but I don’t really fancy locating the fat to coat it & to thread lardons through it. I haven’t even got a larding needle with which to thread the fat strips through the meat. I’ve got plenty of recipes using stewing venison but loin is a prime cut & I suspect, as with beef, it will not soften well if stewed. It may well toughen up. What to do? I’m thinking of having a look on-line to see if I can come up with some solutions. Otherwise I think I’m going to just have to try to saw through the solid block of meat & make it into two more manageable meals.

Meanwhile today we’re having braised lamb shanks. That meat at least should be just dropping off the bone by this evening.

I also had a pop round to the walled garden. The time has come to check if some of the ties around the trees there need loosening off. They did indeed. In the process I found the primulas were coming into flower. The most advance ones were the yellow cowslip ones. They are a welcome bit of cheer round there. We only transplanted them there last year so it’s good to see they’re settled in & thriving.

No comments: