Saturday 18 February 2017

Holidays



Yesterday, having written my blog, I decided to get back to the job of sorting out holidays for the year. I suddenly found myself wondering why. Usually by midwinter I’m ready to turn my attention to thinking of warmer climes with long summer days. My feet are itching. I’m keen to sort something out. Not this year.

I think it is because this winter has been so overwhelmed by cancer & its consequences, that I’ve barely noticed it’s been winter. I’ve been so tired I’ve hardly been aware I’m home. Most of our normal activities have been put on hold. Right now, what I really want to do is get back to normal, do the mundane things like cooking most days, certainly eating at home. I want to have chance to get out in the garden & do a bit of tidying up. I want to see the flowers grow & watch the birds. I want to re-establish connections with friends, some of whom we’ve barely seen this winter even though normally we see them at least once a week. What it comes down to is I want to get back to normal life at home.

Later in the day I admitted this to the Fox. I think he felt relief more than anything else. We know we’re back to hospitalling come March. I’ve already got two appointments in May. I suspect there is at least two appointments before then.

We’ve decided we’ll leave holidays until we’re more in the mood & we’re feeling restless once more. Even then it may just be a couple of days away in Britain like we’ve just been to Bowness. If we’re not thinking of going away for a longer holiday until nearer autumn, or even winter, there’s no urgency to start looking for places to go. If an appropriate holiday offer just appears, then maybe that’s what we’ll take up, but otherwise we’re just going to appreciate staying at home with a few days out to explore Lancashire a bit more. Hopefully a quiet time to restore our energies & enthusiasm for discovering new worlds.

No comments: