Friday 17 February 2017

Hope ahead



Spring is definitely springing. The snowdrops in the garden are definitely open. Every day more crocuses open up – so far only the gold ones, though the purple ones are in bud. At this stage only one baby daffodil has opened. The first shoots of mint are appearing.

As we went to the golf club yesterday I was struck by how many other plants were appearing. In one garden I saw a camellia bursting into pinkness. A cherry tree in another. An early azalea in yet another. On one roundabout there is a whole host of yellow daffodils.

Our garden is always later than those around. I think it is because we live so close to the sea. The icy winds blast through our back garden. It is a frost pocket as it lies so low. I suspect it’s not far from sea level. Fortunately there is some higher ground, some cliffs, between us & the sea so we don’t get flooded by the sea as some people are around here.

I confess I think the camellia & the azalea are a bit early, maybe too early. I suspect we’ve still got some cold days yet. Winter isn’t over by any means, even if the blue tit is now making daily visits to the nest box. Still it all fills me with hope for the season to come.

2 comments:

Malcolm said...

I always love the early hints of Spring and am frequently bemused by wintry setbacks. My evening walks with Piper, our faithful hound, have put me back in touch with nature; most therapeutic. Thinking of you both, hoping & praying for your full recuperation.

The Oxcliffe Fox said...

Thank you, the Vixen