Tuesday 1 November 2016

On the mend



I’m slowly getting there. Friends have been surprised how bright & with-it I seem. However, yesterday was the first day I didn’t have a bit of a doze during the day. I ended up going to bed at 8.30pm, too tired to stay up a moment longer. I was already half asleep in my chair.

Yesterday I took off the outer dressing. I was nervous about this. The instructions suggested I did it on Sunday but I thought I should give it an extra day. At least on a weekday, if the wound did start gushing there would be someone who could help me. Clearly from the dressing there had been some leakage but it looked dried & old. There has been none since I removed the outer dressing. The inner dressing should fall off of its own accord. I’m certainly not going to touch it unless the dressing’s still there in a few weeks’ time.

The physio exercises are continuing. After the first week I should be starting some exercises that involve bringing my arm up above shoulder level. It all seems very easy so far. I’m also wearing the elasticated stockings at night – to avoid DVTs. The leaflet suggests I should continue that until I get back to normal mobility. As someone who is a part-time wheelchair user, I was that mobile the moment I woke up. Still the nurse did say I should use the stockings for at least a couple of weeks, so I’m using them.

The Fox has not let me do anything much. I finally got him to let me yesterday scrape & parboil some potatoes for sautéing in the evening. I’ve just peeled some more for some mash this evening.

We’ve a busy morning ahead. My care worker will be coming. While she is here, we’re also expecting the plumber coming to service the central heating boiler & the gas fire, ready for the coming winter. We’ve also got some people coming to treat the lawns with some fertiliser. I suspect I’ll be ready for that doze after that lot.

In the meanwhile I’ll continue taking things easy…

No comments: