Thursday 17 November 2016

Confessions of a spice addict



I’ve just got the slow cooker on the go. This is usually the Fox’s area of culinary expertise but for once I’m having a go.

So what am I tackling? A beef chilli mole. At one point in the preparation I had a taster. It’s certainly going to be hot to eat in more ways than one. I’ve given my hands a good wash & scrub in the hope I don’t get chilli in my eyes whenever I blow my nose – the spiciness is already doing its best to clear my nasal passages.

I have to confess I’ve had a bit of a panic since I’ve been reading about chemo & radiotherapy. You’re not supposed to be able to cope with spice. It’s to be avoided.

 So it is I encouraged the Fox to make us a lamb mince curry yesterday, & I’m doing a chilli today. Indeed most of this week’s food includes spice. Admittedly spice shouldn’t have much effect on radiotherapy. It’s mainly chemo that causes the problem &, as I said yesterday, I’m still thinking of just accepting the bone strengthening therapy, not the rest of it, so hopefully I should be able to continue to enjoy my spices.

The thought of 6 months without spice was a nightmare!

No comments: