Thursday 10 November 2016

A welcome visitor



I just looked out of the kitchen window, or rather the window in the kitchen door, admiring our many avian visitors, scurrying around our lawns. It had finally stopped raining & clearly the worms must have been near the surface.

Just then something caught my eye nearer the house. There, around the raised bed with the prostrate rosemary, was another small bird. At first I thought it must be a sparrow - I didn’t have my glasses on & I’m rather short-sighted – though it seemed rather small for a sparrow. Then I recognised his unmistakable erect tail. It was a wren.

It’s years since I last saw a wren. There was one here in our garden when we first moved in. However, that was over 16 years ago now & we haven’t seen a wren for the last ten years at least.

I always associate the wren with the farthing. I’m of an age to still remember them in circulation. They were withdrawn in 1960. I always thought wrens looked such charming creatures with their pert little tail.

Having found us, & having found this uncemented wall with its rosemary trailing down, I do hope the wren continues to visit. Certainly the wall seems to attract plenty of insects who like to make their homes in the gaps between the stones. The wall is often covered with cobwebs, so there should be plenty of good food for a little wren.

No comments: