Monday 25 July 2016

Taxi or parking?



Yesterday I tried to book a taxi to take us to Manchester airport for when we go to the French Alps. We’re not going for a while, so I was surprised to discover they were already booked up. September is their busiest time they reckon, as us Brits head off for a last bit of sun & warmth before winter arrives. They gave me the number of another reliable taxi company to try. I tried & got an answerphone.

Meanwhile, we had a look on line at the cost of airport parking. For once we’re travelling at a reasonable time – in the afternoon both ways – so we shouldn’t be too tired to cope with the driving.

Now we’re in a dilemma. Should we persevere with the taxi idea? It will probably cost us more, but it will also drop at the entrance of the departure hall & pick us in the arrival hall. That way the Fox shouldn’t have too much difficulty moving me & the luggage around. Or should we go for the parking? We then have a choice of either the long term parking, which means a 10 min bus ride to the terminal. But will the bus be wheelchair accessible? Or would it be better for the Fox to drop me & the luggage at the entrance to the departures, then go & park while I wait for him to get back on the bus? Or should we try the Meet & Greet Parking where there’s a drop off point near the terminal & someone then takes the car further afield for you & brings it back when you are due to return?

The practicalities of moving both me in my wheelchair & the luggage are always a problem. Wheelchair assistance isn't available until you’ve checked in & disposed of the luggage. But by then half the difficulty has been solved.

We’ll think on.

No comments: