Thursday 7 July 2016

Fresh pasta



I’ve been making some fresh pasta. I’ve not made any for a while – just buying the dried stuff instead. I’d forgotten how therapeutic it is with its little spurts of activity. First there’s the making the dough. In this instance I started by roasting some butternut squash, then mashing it. That gives a difference of flavour when mixed in with the flour & egg.  Then there’s a bit of kneading to get rid of any angst I may have. The dough’s rested as do I. Finally there’s the rolling & cutting. The pasta strips are now on the bathroom towel rail drying a bit, ready for this evening’s meal. More squash will go in the accompanying sauce, along with a bit of cheese & a scattering of crispy bacon bits.

I’ve never made a squash pasta before. Usually I make a tomato or spinach form, but the basic formula is always the same.

I think I must have been watching too many “Masterchef” programmes of late on the tele. They always seem to be making fresh pasta. I’ve just got overwhelmed by the urge to do so too. Now I just hope it’s good.

What I don't understand is how my blouse has ended up with a orangey red powder all over the pocket. It looks like I've dusted myself with chilli powder or paprika, neither of which I put in the pasta or even had cause to touch.  And it was clean on today. Typical!

No comments: