Monday 4 July 2016

Drying



The sun is shining. There’s even some warmth. I’ve put my washing out to dry.

I’ve tried putting up a washing line in the walled garden. I found myself feeling quite envious of people in the Netherlands with their washing blowing on the line. Since we had the garden done, there has been no posts to tie a line onto in the back garden. I’ve been taking out our airer instead. Although things do dry on it, they are so closely packed together they take a long time to dry. The wind also cannot get the creases out as it does on a line. The walled garden is shadier & more sheltered but certainly in the morning, things do seem to be drying as fast if not faster than on the airer. Maybe I’ve finally found a more satisfactory solution to the drying process – some on the line, some on the airer. However it does mean more walking & therefore more pain. I suppose there is no perfect solution.

It has to be admitted when they designed the garden they didn’t seem to spend much time on practical matters, such as where to put wheelie bins & rubbish boxes, where to dry the washing. We did persuade them to pave an area behind the garage for the bins & boxes –in theory the base for a small greenhouse in the future. However, I didn’t think about a washing line until it was too late. They had finished & gone. Now I look around the back garden & cannot see any great distance in which it is even feasible to put a line without going through shrubbery, trees, pergolas etc. or climbing over raised beds, except in the walled garden & even that isn’t for a very long line.

No comments: