Saturday 16 July 2016

Festival weekend



I was surprised to discover that this morning’s edition of “Saturday Live” (BBC Radio 4 at 9am) was from Morecambe. It says much about local publicity that I wasn’t even aware of it. The programme was full of local features – Carnforth station & its fame through the film “Brief Encounter”, Cedric Robinson the sand pilot who guides people across the sands by royal appointment (the only safe way to walk from one side to the other side of this bay full of quicksands, moving rivers & underground currents).

Morecambe this weekend is host to a kite festival. I gather the sky should be full of colour as kites of every hue & shape dance on the sea breezes. I gather from the programme the largest teddy bear kite in the world should be taking to the air this afternoon.

Meanwhile in Heysham we have a Viking festival. Much as I appreciate the Vikings no doubt raided this area I can’t quite understand why Heysham in particular should have such a festival. Still if it brings in the tourists, & their money, I wish it well.

I expect we will avoid both festivals. I’m afraid crowds & wheelchairs don’t mix well, though it has to be admitted we would probably have avoided the festivities just because Foxes & crowds don’t mix well. It’s just not our scene. I just hope the weather keeps fair – partly for the pleasure of all those festival goers, partly that I might get out & plant up those pots with our newly bought flowers. An afternoon in the garden would be wonderful.

No comments: