Friday 1 January 2016

The New Year arrives



We both seem to have gone down with colds to end one year & start the next. It isn’t our usual cold. Normally we have heads full of cotton wool & we blow a lot – I can get through a full pack of men’s tissues in just one day. We are full of catarrh that takes forever to lose.


This time we’ve both got very dry throats that encourages a tickly cough. Every time I cough a pain shoots through my head & sometimes I become aware of a tightness in my chest. I’m praying that isn’t a sign I’m heading once more into pneumonia country.


But maybe this is a good time to have it. It being the seasonal time of year, so many places are closed & those few that are open are heaving. It isn’t a great pleasure to venture out. It encourages us to take it easy & take a simple pleasure in watching the twinkle of the Christmas lights on our tree.


I feel I ought to make the effort to do a tour of the garden. After November 5th, Fireworks Night, we found more than 50 plastic cartridges scattered everywhere. As we watched the fireworks in London, then in Edinburgh, I couldn’t help hearing in the background a miscellany of pops, bangs & crackles. Clearly some neighbours had splashed out on fireworks to see the new year in. Having had some champers to the bongs of Big Ben, I just had a mug of tea & collapsed into bed, enough of 2016 for the moment.

No comments: