Monday 11 January 2016

Camera shy



It’s all very frustrating.

At the weekend we had some roast pork for dinner. All the leftover fat I put out for the birds. Some remains inside, making up fat balls with loads of bird seed setting in the fat.

This morning I look out. The starlings have arrived for a late breakfast/early lunch. The Fox doesn’t believe me that the starlings have started to visit in large groups so I thought I’d take a photo or two for him. Off I go for the camera, & my glasses to see with. Before I go I open the door so that won’t disturb them when I take the picture. I’m soon back. They're still there. I switch the camera on as I lift it to my eye. At the sound of the camera coming into life the birds take off.

I leave the camera on the work surface as I prepare the dinner. From time to time, I grab the camera. Same result. I’ve now given up in despair.

They’re camera shy. There’s no getting away from that. Maybe I should have tried for the robin on the fence, the sparrows on the paths, the chaffinches in the rowans or the magpie on the wall around the raised bed. I’ve just not got the patience to wait too long, especially when the temperature according the thermometer on the shed is -8ºC today.

Maybe I’ll succeed another day.

No comments: