Wednesday 6 January 2016

Last of the glitter



The Christmas tree is down. The room will look dowdy, I expect, this evening. We’ve got used to all the extra light form the twinkling on the tree, the tinsel & the glitter on the cards. But now, Christmas is fully over. Life moves on.

I’m sure for weeks to come, despite Linda’s best efforts, we’ll be finding ourselves distracted by sparkly bits, glitter in the carpets & on surfaces. It always takes several vacuums before the last remnants of Christmas disappear.

Usually at this stage I’m revelling in the discovery of how much longer the days seem. With the shortest day coming just before Christmas, & after the disruption of the festivities when I lose all sense of time & the normality, it is only now, as life gets back into its normal routine,  that it usually hits just how much longer the evenings are becoming, how lighter the mornings. However, this feeling doesn’t seem to be coming this year. The days ae just remaining so dull & grey you’re hard put to appreciate that daylight ever really arrives at any time of the day.

The one thing we will both be pleased to see disappear is our colds. We’re both getting fed up of all the coughing, especially when it involves bringing up so much horrible yellowy green phlegm.

I called in at the health food store for some ground ginger yesterday. I did wonder whether to see if they had some herbal remedy that might speed the colds on their way.  Experience has taught me colds take their own sweet time. More often than not, when I’ve tried patent medicines they just seem to prolong the symptoms rather than eradicate them. It’s just a case of waiting it out. But I’m getting bored by the whole long wait.


No comments: