Saturday 25 July 2015

An intellectual adventure



This blog is largely an apology for misleading you all.

Yesterday morning was largely spent reading about Vienna, in particular the Museum Quarter. While reading the chapter of the book I became aware once more of the inevitable Gustav Klimt. What also struck me is that he was from a somewhat earlier period than I’d suggested in my last blog. He was dead by 1918 so he could hardly have produced art with a typical 1920’s feel. Though I do still stand by my feeling that there is something Art Nouveau about the feel.

My first reaction was that he must have been revolutionary when he did his work, largely done from 1883 till his death.  Then it occurred to me I should have realised that this was the case. There is something reminiscent of the posters of Toulouse-Lautrec or those advertising Sarah Bernhardt, both very much turn of the century. The hairstyles of the female models were very much the big hairs of long hair put up of that period.

I’m forced, too, to admit there is something quite distinctive about Klimt’s work, which maybe marks it out for greatness. There is a distinctive voice in his work, even though I’m not entirely sure what to make of that voice. Maybe all will be clearer by the time we return to England from our Austrian holiday. This trip is certainly turning into an intellectual adventure already.

No comments: