Friday 6 February 2015

Wow!



Yesterday I went off to the fish shop on the Mean Machine, my electric mobility scooter. I soon wished I’d taken our camera. The view across the bay was stunning.

It was one of those crystal clear winter mornings. The sky a brilliant azure. An occasional cloud hung across it, white with a purply underside.  As the Lakeland fells neared the sky the sky became more yellow.

 As for the fells themselves. The lower foreground ones were a deep darkness. Through a dip in the land stood proudly the higher fells behind. The snow had largely disappeared but a thin coating remained, enough to emphasise the contours of the fells. The snow itself shone luminously. At the lower heights they were purply, echoing the colour of the underside of the clouds.

The tide was largely out. The Bay was miles of largely brown sands with a brilliant azure band as the waters of the Kent made their way to the sea, reflecting the azure of the sky as they went. The water was incredibly still, more like a plate of glass rather than a river.

It was literally breath-taking.

On my return trip I was surprised to find I had to traverse a depth of golden sand to get back on the promenade. Clearly the recent winds had blown a lot of sand on the pathway. As I continued on I noticed benches, seat deep in sand, yet to be cleared away.

I passed a couple of walkers, tourists I suspect, armed with a camera. I couldn’t help commenting I wished I’d had such foresight.

Morecambe Bay, seen from Morecambe, really is a fabulous spot, well worth visiting on a day like yesterday.

No comments: