Saturday 7 February 2015

Roast pork



It’s roast pork day today in our household.

These days we’re once more having to resort to supermarket meat. Our local farmer has given up selling direct to the public & is selling through the auction house instead.

What I’m having difficulty understanding is why the skin on the leg is not properly scored. I would have thought most people find good crackling one of the highlights of having roast pork. We certainly do. I still remember the fabulous crackling we had when we stayed in the Blue Mountains of Australia. It was almost worth losing the filling from my tooth & the subsequent pain as the pin that had held it in stuck into my cheek for the rest of the holiday!

So, for the first time in my life I’ve been scoring the joint. I never realised the skin was so tough to cut through. Now I just need to unroll it, spread on some herbs, spices & garlic before re-rolling it ready for the oven.

It’s quite a while since I last roasted pork so I’m really looking forward to it.

No comments: