Friday 8 August 2014

Completed tonight?



They’re hopeful of being done today, weather permitting. The last plants are going in. The ramp to the back door is taking shape. The second pergola & the fence & gate to the garden have yet to be erected. Then there’s just the pointing.

It’s looking wonderful, so different from the jungle it replaces. Now there are wide open spaces. Light streams in.  Paths travel along to the furthest reaches. In time it will be full of colour & scents, a delight to all the senses. This is a garden we would like to spend time in, rather than one we almost feared what might attack us, be it bramble or ravenous beast. Or maybe we would just sink into bog on our way round.

I have been struck by a change in my habits all this work has caused. First of all I’m up amazingly early, before 7am most days. Also when I’m doing my chores e.g. preparing the dinner, I normally have the radio on. Not now. Even if I put it on I can’t hear what’s being said over the volume of noise from outside. It’s just been so noisy. And if they stop for a while I just revel in the silence. I’m really looking forward to the peace & quiet of job done.

So now I’m keeping my fingers crossed & hoping the forecast rain doesn’t arrive. It would be wonderful to get back to something like normal again next week. For that matter it would be nice to feel I don’t have to get the bed changed today so I can sort the washing out first thing tomorrow so I have a chance of getting dried before Monday & the dust flies again as they return.

No comments: