Tuesday 8 October 2013

I wonder....



There remains one more observation – or is it really question – arising from our recent holiday.

As I said afew blogs back, I was reading Pagnol’s “The Water of the Hills” set, i.e. “Jean de Florette” & “Manon des Sources”. One of the things that clearly comes over in these books is the deep suspicion & rivalry between two neighbouring villages. Part of the reason why what happened was allowed to happen was that Jean, not only came in from outside, he was born in that neighbouring village which inevitably made him the most despicable of all foreigners.

La Cadiere d'Azur

Le Castillet from La Cadiere d'Azur


















La Cadière d’Azur, where we were staying, is a perched village. Across the valley is another perched village, Le Castillet. Both were clearly highly fortified. 


The 8th century Porte St Jean, La Cadiere




















 
La Porte Mazarine, also in La Cadiere









I found myself wondering who they were fortified against. Did similar rivalry exist between villages, resulting in occasional raids on each other? Or were they both trying to protecting themselves against a common enemy, rampaging & pillaging its way north into the heart of France? I wonder…

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

Really enjoyed this post & pictures. Got to admit that I love the films of the books you mentioned - accuse me of bias if you like!