Friday 25 October 2013

Contrasts



I’m back wading through treacle. So far I’ve had to load Word up twice just to update my freezer list. Now I’m on the net I can only hope things get easier. Otherwise abandonment is the order of the day.

I was hoping to have another look at some hotels. We’re hoping to get away for a few days – a little morale boost before winter really sets in. We’re not thinking of going far, just up to the Penrith/Ullswater area.

The new home help turned out to be a wonder. I feel I need sunglasses on when I venture into the bathroom. Everything gleams & sparkles so much. She’s hospital trained & certainly knows about the importance of hygiene & is not afraid of using a bit of elbow grease if necessary. Unfortunately I’m not sure if she is going to be the regular one. Certainly someone different will be coming next week as this one is holidaying then.

I’m also struck by the difference of attitude. With the previous company you paid for an hour but only got 50 minutes work as the rest of the time was for travelling between homes. This woman was prepared to stay for an extra half an hour at no extra cost. She certainly expected to stay for the full hour.

Then the question of payment is different. The last company took payment at the end of each session. This company says, just pay when you’re ready, or if you’re passing the office. So far we can’t fault their caring attitude. We just hope they are sufficiently on the ball as far as money management & organisation to keep going. I hope they don’t have too many clients who take advantage of their laxness.

The office is more or less opposite the barber the Fox usually frequents & on the same short street the fish shop is on, so we will be passing fairly often. I wonder if the invite to drop in for a cup of tea & a chat mentioned on the paper they gave us when we agreed to take them on will also come into effect when you pop in to pay. It certainly won’t be taking us out of the way. I am, though, filling in & dating the vouchers each session to make sure I don’t forget to pay for a week. I can see our difficulty being to get them to take payment rather than being bludgeoned into paying for work never received!

No comments: