Wednesday 9 October 2013

Encounters, new & old



There are times it strikes you just how good it is to be home. I seem to have been writing about France so much of late. Much as I love France, England, particularly Lancashire, remains home.

This thought struck me over dinner. We had a Ham & Egg Flan, made with an old Mrs Beeton recipe. The clean fresh taste of the simple egg custard made the flan. It had no fancy spicing or herbs, no cheese, nothing but egg & milk with a bit of salt & pepper. It seemed so English, so unspoilt.

We’d had a pleasant afternoon at our village pub, talking to the new barmaid. She’s a recent graduate, working part time at the pub. Her main job is in the management of the local council fitness centre, but she needs the extra money to pay off some of her student debts. She’s not unduly worried about the student loan. That she accepts will, or will not, be paid off over the course of her career. It’s the credit cards & overdraft she’s more concerned about.

It was lovely to see her enthusiasm for life. It’s the first time I’ve really regarded sport as a degree course, yet that was what she had a degree in. She certainly had the intelligence & intellectual rigour of anyone who has gained a more orthodox degree.

Today I was pleased to see a letter from the hospital arrive. It’s my appointment for another ultrasound scan. This should reveal whether my pancreas is once more down to more normal size & I can start to have a little bit of alcohol again.

 It’s not that I’ve ever drunk much alcohol, but I do miss my glass of wine with dinner. I resent having a range of experience & a chance of discovering new tastes denied me. It also makes such things as communion wine forbidden, not to mention some fabulous desserts & chocolates. I don’t want a lot. I just want to be free to have the choice again.


No comments: