Wednesday 16 January 2013

Nearly done



The freeze continues. Today’s temperature has risen up to just -9˚C.  Everything is looking white – roofs, cars, lawns, shrubs. I’ve decided the time has come to put the central heating on throughout the day.

Hopefully this afternoon we will finally get that benefit form done. I find it’s impossible to do much at a time. It’s too depressing. It is only this time of filling it in, that I’ve realised I’m really not able to go out on my own any longer. I can’t go any distance on foot or by pushing myself along the pavement. Driving unaccompanied is not on as I tend to drop off to sleep at the steering wheel.

The only time I do get out by myself is when I get out the Mean Machine (my electric mobility scooter). But that is only feasible on a good day, both from the point of view of my health and dependent on the weather.

Maybe the rarity of being out on my own is part of the reason why I appreciate those little outings so much. I’d always put it down to the fact that is one of the few opportunities to be out in the fresh air for any length of time, to feel a bit of breeze on my face, to encounter strangers with a cheery hello, to see something different from my home surroundings.

That’s not to say we don’t get out at all, but our usual trips involve a drive, followed by a quick dash into a building.

Still the form is nearly done. We’re hoping to go away for a few days once it’s posted off. We’re not thinking of going far, just a change of scene. Then hopefully I’ll be able to put my mind to other things, write about something more cheery than ill-health, disability and benefits.


No comments: