Tuesday 29 January 2013

Change



I’m somewhat bemused. For months I’ve been writing on about our urge to get away for a break, a bit of a holiday, a pamper. Now the chance has come to do just so & the urge has largely evaporated.  Oh, I’m still keen to arrange something for the spring. I think we do need a change. But the immediate few days away is a different matter.

I’m trying to decide why things have changed. I’ve come up with some theories.

I suppose there’s the element of always wanting the impossible, that same urge that makes you want to step on the grass the moment you see the “Keep off the grass” sign. There have been so many things that had to be done, with hospitals & benefit claims. But they’re all done now, so the impossible is now possible & so less alluring.

Part of it is undoubtedly the weather. We were only thinking of going as far as Kendal for a night or two. Now the snow has gone away we’re once more back in the land of torrential rain. Although we’re only thinking of lazing around the hotel, doing a bit of shopping, maybe seeing old friends, dining at an old favourite restaurant, it doesn’t alter the fact all the above would be more pleasant in the dry. We know the area well so we’re not bothered about seeing the landscape at its best, we just don’t want to see it wet through, hard put to see it through rain spotted glasses & bedraggled dripping hair.

Though maybe it just comes down to the fact we’re planning a treat for ourselves, as the readers of the Fox’s blog will already know. We’re off to the cinema to see “Les Miserables” this afternoon. Then we’re going out for a meal. In other words we’re having a bit of a staycation as it’s fashionably called these days.

Part of it is the pressure we wanted to escape from has eased. I know I will get worked up once I have to go t the Jobcentre for this silly work-related interview, or I hear when I have to have the next ESA medical, but for the moment I can relax a bit, fall back into my comfortable rut.

Or maybe it’s just we’re able to dream a bit again, if only for a short while. Somehow, if you can dream, you can travel the world, and beyond it.  As I’ve said before, the ability to dream can make all the difference.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

Enjoy your "staycation"!

Meantime I'm wondering whether I'll be up to attending our CLP's AGM ce soir. A rare trip out.

Take care!