Friday 21 December 2012

The tree



The tree is up. We put it up last night. Now the lights sparkle in the dark, the tinsel glitters. The room is starting to look more festive & we’re trying to put aside our other worries.

I was surprised to get a phone call from the charity helping me with my benefit claim, suggesting the man would come round today rather than Christmas Eve. He reckoned he’d written out the appeal but just needed my signature. He wanted me to write a letter explaining my reasons for wanting to appeal & gather any collaborating evidence. I had to explain I couldn’t do that at this point in time. Until someone can give me some information about the basis of the decision I’m not even confident I have the basis for an appeal. Hopefully yesterday’s call to Jobcentre Plus will get that.

I cannot even begin to think what he must have written on this appeal form. My disillusionment with this charity is growing. From past experience I’m only too aware we won’t win on a sympathy vote. We need to win on a sound legal basis.

Still this must wait until after Christmas. It is time to turn my mind to the tree & its sparkle. This afternoon we’re hoping to get off to buy a goose. It’s not that I want to cook the goose for Christmas – we’re having turkey. It’s just the only time they seem to be available in the shops at anything like a reasonable price is now. It can stay in the freezer until I need some more goose fat for roasting my potatoes.

We’re also intending to collect all our medication for the festive season – that will be quite a bagful! After that it will be a case of trying to rest up a bit & relax, ready for Christmas Day, maybe even turn my mind to more spiritual matters.

No comments: