Sunday 11 November 2012

Necessity is the Mother of Invention



I’m not a great fan of minced pork, or even of burgers, so you can imagine how surprised I am to say I thoroughly enjoyed yesterday’s meal.

I’m back to doing a bit of using up from the freezer. Minced pork was top of the list – don’t ask me how it got there but there it was. A quick shufti through my cookbooks gave me the idea of doing “Burgers with a sweetcorn relish”. I thought the relish should give a bit of flavour to the insipid pork. The Fox suggested we bought some buns but I thought I’d use up some pitta bread from the freezer, another thing I’m not keen on.

The Fox got the meat out Friday evening ready to thaw for the morning. First thing I did in the morning was to make the burgers. I added plenty of thyme & parsley to give it some flavour. I put the burgers in the fridge ready to cook up in the evening.

Nearer midday I was in the kitchen & thought I might as well get out the tin of sweetcorn from the cupboard. I knew I didn’t have any mexicorn as the recipe required but I had thought of a way around that. However, no sweetcorn. I emptied the shelf. Still no tin.

It’s a problem I find with the two of us cooking now. I always worked on the basis of buying the ingredients I needed for the week ahead, even if there was some in anyway. That way I never had to check what was in the cupboard unless I was doing, as yesterday, a use-up meal. The Fox works on a different theory. Always have some basic ingredients in, which you top up when you use the last one up. I’ve been trying to adapt to this principle but I keep finding I use the ingredient I bought for the planned meal & don’t bother to check whether it’s the last tin. Meanwhile the Fox has used the cupboard tin, seen another in which I then used & which was by then the last tin. As I don’t check I don’t bother putting it on the shopping list to replace.

Anyhow, now I was stuck. I’d made the burgers up so the meat couldn’t be used for any other purpose. After some thought I decided to fry up some extra capsicum peppers – that was how I was going to make the sweetcorn into mexicorn – then add the other relish ingredients.

The burgers, well coated with the relish, then popped into the toasted pitta bread. Brilliant. I’m not sure it wasn’t better than the original recipe. The meat was moist & flavoursome. The bite of the relish added much to it. Even the pitta bread was welcome & not the usual bit of cardboard I associate it with.

I remember once staying in a chamber d’hôte once near Rouen. The meal we had was excellent. Our hostess commented that the recipe for a smoked chicken & mushroom dish her husband made was originally the result of a culinary mishap. They’d enjoyed it so much, they made the mishap from then on. I feel just like that over this sweetcorn relish without the sweetcorn.

No comments: