Sunday 18 October 2009

Old crockery

Thursday was a traumatic day. We spent an hour at the surgery getting results of tests. The Fox has all ready told his readers about his medical problems. I ended up back at the surgery on Friday.

My problems are related to blood pressure. Somehow I've managed to get the upper figure, the diastolic, high yet the lower figure, the systolic, very low. This means increasing my blood pressure pills is not an option as I would just be blacking out as both figures would go down including the systolic number. So I'm now on water pills. Just mild diuretics.

All this new knowledge came to light when I mentioned I was having a few dizzy spells & my ankles seem to be swelling up a bit for no particular reason. The swelling was causing no pain or discomfort. My ankles are their normal slim selves most of the time, but I keep having spells when they swell up for a few days/weeks. My doctor instantly took my blood pressure. As I had had to rush to get to the appointment on time, he thought that was probably all that was the cause of the high blood pressure then. To be on the safe side he suggested I had another reading when we got back from our hols & I was more relaxed. That was what happened to me on Thursday to discover my blood pressure had only gone up in the intervening couple of weeks.

So now I'm on yet more pills. Since the doctor reckoned the ankle swelling was probably the result of water retention due to lack of exercise, hopefully that means my ankles will now stay slim. At least, these water pills do not seem to have had an adverse effect on my bladder. I've not had any urgent need to rush to the loo, as so many people do. Just as well, as I don't think I could rush anywhere these days. He did say they were only mild so shouldn't have that sort of side effect.

Now we wait for next week for the results of the blood tests done on the Fox, & next month to see if the tweaking of both our medication has achieved the desired effects.

I can't say much for this growing old. It just seems to be a case of one thing after another packing up. Still, as the Fox says, it's better than the alternative.

No comments: