Tuesday 13 October 2009

Joys of cooking

Turkey today. I've just been making some turkey croquettes, stuffed with bacon & cheese. The stuffing will come as a surprise to the Fox. I don't usually put bacon & cheese in croquettes. Oh it's just so great to be cooking again.

Most aspects of housework I've given up as my disability grew. I never did get much satisfaction from cleaning. When I found myself falling into a fire (fortunately not switched on), I happily left the cleaning to others, first a cleaner we got in, nowadays the Fox. But cooking is a different matter.

It's partially there is just so many things you could do. Different methods of cooking. Different foods. Different styles. Different taste sensations to create & enjoy.

And as if the cooking isn't enough, there's (hopefully) the joy of eating the completed meal & sharing it with family & friends, accompanied with a nice bottle of wine & plenty of good conversation.

These days cooking tends to be the main focus of my day's activities. It can be tiring. The standing necessitated can be pain-filled. But it does repay me with a sense of satisfaction, a feeling of doing something of value in my life (I can't quite get away from the curse of the work ethic!) as well as a certain amount of self-expression. No. Cooking is the last domestic chore I'll be giving up for good.

I've had to accept only cooking a maximum of 5 days a week due to disability. Fortunately the Fox has discovered his culinary skills & passion, so we still eat well.

The world looks so much better on a stomach full of good food.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

I most heartily endorse this post!