Monday 19 October 2009

Insurance pains

It's that time of year again. The car & house insurance are both due soon.

This year I'm being pestered by people I've had quotes from in previous years. This is a new phenomenon & I don't like it. I feel I'm being pressured into making decisions before I'm ready.

This really got to me last week when I'd hardly had chance to get through the post that had collected from our holidays. Before I'd even had the opportunity to open the renewal notices & see the proposed premiums from our current insurers, they were onto me. I suggested they just left their numbers & I'd get back to them when I had had chance to get myself sorted. But no. That isn't good enough to them. They will ring me back.

And THEY DID. DAILY.

They rattle off figures for various eventualities & I sat that dumb, not taking in a thing they said.

As the week went on & we had our bad health news, still they continued to ring. Sure the price went down, but my mind couldn't focus on what they were saying.

I was beginning to dread the phone ringing. I even began to not answer the phone until I heard the other party's voice on the answerphone. That way I knew whether it was friend or foe first.

Over the weekend I've calmed down sufficiently to be able to look at our present insurers' quotes. And you know what? No hassle & lower quotes.

I'm rather relieved. I was at the stage of thinking I didn't want to change. The very pressure being put on me deterred me. And yet at the same time I didn't want to miss out on a bargain. It seems I don't have to. Now I'm ready to say a definite no to the pests & stay where we are.

Surely I'm not the only one put off by such sales tactics. Or am I?


1 comment:

Malcolm said...

telephonic pestering, one of the biggest bugbears of contemporary life - trouble is once you've made an enquiry they won't be blocked by the preference service.

It's really good to hear that your current insurer came up with the goods without any hassle!

Trusting the telephonic invasion has now ceased!