Monday 26 October 2009

Art break

We're contemplating a trip to Liverpool to see the Rothko exhibition at the Tate Modern. We've long appreciated his art in reproduction but never seen the originals. We're very curious to see what difference of effect will be created by the sheer size of the pieces.

I remember once going to the Modern Art gallery in Edinburgh & seeing my first Jackson Pollack. I confess before then I had been telling myself his work was not just a matter of paint splattered on canvas & had merit. I had no doubt that it wasn't just "child play" as some have suggested. But it wasn't until I saw an original hanging there, & the size of it, that I was convinced.

I suspect this exhibition will have a similar effect on me.

Now things are settling a bit more, it's time to turn my attention to finding accommodation for such a trip. Liverpool doesn't take that long to get to from here. However, I'm certain by the time I've made the trip I will not have the stamina to also go round such a demanding exhibition.

The idea of a couple of days away, possibly in the long cold dark days of January/February appeals greatly. Especially when it will hopefully include such a cultural highlight.

1 comment:

Malcolm said...

Allow yourself plenty of time with the Rothko's - the longer you spend the more you'll want to spend. I'm envious - even though I've seen many of his works on sundry different occasions, one can never recapture that first absorption!